Thursday, April 17, 2014

Reflections After Dr. Paulus Talk

Personally, I really enjoyed Dr. Paulus’s presentation on Tuesday. She gave us a more holistic view of carrying out one project in ATLAS. I like the point she made at the beginning that analytical tools don’t do the analysis for you. Researchers are still the persons who carry out the analysis. Moreover, she emphasized that using ATLAS doesn't associate with adopting grounded theory. ATLAS does support coding and segmenting, but this doesn’t mean researchers need to use ATLAS for coding, segmenting, and retrieving. Sometimes, researchers do coding and segmenting aiming for organizing their data well. As a new user of ATLAS, I use it for data organizing process a lot.

Dr. Paulus mentioned that using analytical tools would make research process more transparent. I already experienced this when I was doing my skill builder assignment where I was trying to integrate analytical tools into the case study I have been working on. By using analytical tool, although I need to locate evidences from each data source to triangulate my results by myself, linking evidences in multiple files became easier and transparent. Being transparent means easier to track back in the future.


 Dr. Paulus noted that ATLAS also supports literature review. I am excited to explore this more, maybe, in my newsletter column assignment. This is really important for qualitative researchers. For literature review, there is no need to review literatures that are not relevant to the study. However, to join into the conversation of researchers in the field, one need to show how does the the current study relates/solves issues in the literature. Using the function of linking multiple files in one project, connecting literature review with the analysis process becomes easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment